Saturday, 16 April 2011

Phew ... final rules draft goes to my playtesters!

After a long slog of writing, rewriting, tinkering, retinkering, screwing things up and binning them, and pulling screwed up bits of paper back out of the bin at a later date, I breathed a huge sigh of relief today when sending the final playtest draft of Dux Bellorum out to my global testers.

I know, I know, there's still their final feedback to come, and then I need to work on the explanatory art (not starting that until the rules are 100% complete, to avoid bad version control), but I feel like I've reached a milestone. Will have a rummage around in the drinks cabinet very soon....

Publication of DB isn't due until 2012, but it's been a long build up and I feel closer to completion than ever before. Importantly, and perhaps surprisingly, I'm still enjoying playing the game after many, many sessions. That's not always the case when you're developing a new game.

In other news, the Song of Blades and Heroes / Song of Arthur and Merlin rulebook should be published soon. This takes the core rules of SBH, adds in all of the extra rules required for the Arthurian setting, and combines it with my previously standalone Arthurian sourcebook. It's a chunkier book on account of the extra rules needed, but but means you need just the one book to play with. Ganesha Games are a great company to work with, so it's been a pleasure trundling through the update.

Right, drinks cabinet...