Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Busy painting minis: Dark Ages Welsh

Well, I’ve had a week and a half of vacation and put some of that time to good use painting miniatures. Popular decision!

These are 28mm Gripping Beast British/Welsh warriors from the Dark Ages, which I purchased in a moment of enthusiasm after trying out their upcoming skirmish game Saga. I’ve not painted any 28s for a fair old while, but wanted to make the best job of these I could. This involved purchasing some Foundry triad paints and plenty of LBMS shield transfers (which were a doddle to use, even for clumsy old me). Yeah yeah, I’m still not the best miniatures painter, and it’s intimidating looking at these blown up BIG, but I’m happy with these. I have another nine horsemen to paint and then six Irish warriors.

(Click on the images to link into their captions)







This gives me a four point force for Saga (six points when the horsies canter in), and a really wide choice for Song of Arthur and Merlin and my Dark Ages The Lord of the Rings: Strategy Battle Game games. I’ve also invested in some Warbases stands to use the minis for Dux Bellorum and maybe De Bellis Antiquitatis.





The photos for Dux Bellorum show dice being used to mark Cohesion (red for nobles, white for ordinary troops), and gaming gems to mark Leadership Points. This is only 14 points of a full 32 point army for Dux Bellorum, but I’ll keep working on these; I usually play using 15mm minis but would like to scale up. After many years of not enjoying painting, I’m back on a roll.



If I can do it, so can any other lapsed painters . . . give it a go!