Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Shiny happy people

Jonas over at the superbly named A Conflict of Interests blog has very kindly awarded me a Leibster Blog Award (I think this means 'favourite blog award' with my rusty language skills?). I've seen these badges of honour popping up from time to time in the past week or two but never thought anyone would award me one, so what a pleasant surprise!

Of merseybooks, Jonas says:

Dan Mersey, author of several books and games about the Age of Arthur/Dark Ages as well as other periods own blog. I really like Dux Bellorum and I'm looking forward to his new game, A Lion Rampant. Very interesting reading.

Thanks chap!

Part of the acceptance is that I now award a Leibster Blog Award to five other worthy blogs... here goes:

Bob's Miniature Wargaming Blog
I miss Bob Barnetson's contributions to Battlegames magazine, which were always thought-provoking and a thumbs-up good read. Being able to keep tabs on what he's been up to via his blog is a benefit of the modern world :-)

Irregular Wars 
Mr Hotspur not only paints 10mm models far better than I can manage in 28mm, but he puts them to good use in Song of Arthur and Merlin. Good chap! Not only this, but he also has a rather fine set of rules of his own (Irregular Wars) and a stunning Song of Blades & Heroes army from the Grand Duchy of Cheddar. What more could you want to read about?

Cor Blog Me!
Captain Arjun covers a lot of gaming ground on his blog, which reminds me a fair bit of my own shifting interests. He's written up a few playtests of my games, which were super helpful to me, and he has a very nice nostalgia piece that I really must get around to copying ... erm ... creating my own version of one day! (Read it here.)

John's Wargame Page
John posts a number of really thoughtful reviews and ideas about ancient wargaming; I've enjoyed his analysis of various different rule sets (waiting for my turn, hint hint!), and it would be remiss of me not to mention his own D6 Ancients game. Check it out on his blog for his wise thoughts.

Project Lewes
Unlucky General is blogging his march toward refighting the Battle of Lewes. Now, I've always found this an interesting battle (along with Evesham), and these days I don't live too far from the battlefield. (That said, I generally prefer the Lewes pubs to the battlefield...) I'm looking forward to following his continued journey, and absolutely admire the man's patience and dedication to refighting this battle one day. Keep at it!

The rules for the award winners are simple enough:
  • "Copy and paste" the award on your blog, and talk about it a bit.
  • Select for the award your five favourite blogs with less than 200 followers, leaving a comment on one of their post to notify them that they have won the award. You need also to list them in your own blog.
  • Enjoy the moment, knowing that you have just made someone's day. 
  • Of course, there is no obligation to pass the award, but it is a good deed really.

Check 'em all out: I hope you find them as interesting as I do.

And as it happens there are two other blogs I'd have added if they hadn't already received the award, so honorable mentions go to these blogs too: