Thursday, 20 December 2012

My most played games of 2012

I originally posted this list over at Boardgamegeek but thought it might also be of interest here...

Hey, That's My Fish!: We only picked this up last Christmas but it’s turned into a firm favourite with my gaming chums, not least because we can fit several games into a lunchbreak at work.

Condottiere: Another popular lunchtime game, which seems to hold the right balance of theme and gameplay for me.

Cartagena: More correctly Cartagena II but we play with the original rules.

Dux Bellorum: My own game, and one that published this year at that, so I’ve notched up many test games before publication and ‘real’ games since publication.

Saga: A superb mixture of miniatures game and boardgame. I generally play as the Welsh, although manage to equally unsuccessful with any army.

Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea: This was played a lot early in 2012 but has dropped off recently. I’ve always wanted an easy to play WW2 naval game and this one worked well for me, especially when we’ve avoided including too many capital ships.

Memoir '44: I can’t help finding those little plastic tanks strangely addictive to play with.

Through the Desert: We picked this up last Christmas but it’s been popular ever since. We’ve found it plays equally well with 2 or more players.

Subbuteo: A surprise entry caused by the re-release of this game. I’ve picked up a few teams, new and old, and have been enjoying playing on a half sized pitch.

Carcassonne: Another popular lunchtime game, and one of my all-time favourites.

A notable mention must be made of De Bellis Antiquitatis; every year since about 1993 this will have been one of my most played miniatures games but in 2012 it hasn’t made my top ten. That’s because I’ve been playing an awful lot of Dux Bellorum (both in testing and since publication) and a wider variety of other miniatures games, which fill the same niche for me. I’m sure DBA will make a return in years to come, although whether I stick with my current version or buy into the new DBA 3 when it finally publishes, only time will tell.

Sitting under our Christmas Tree, I know I have a couple of games waiting, so these could well make the ‘most played’ list next year:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game
Torres


What makes your 'most played' list?