Sunday, 29 December 2013

My most played games of 2013

The end of the year is a good point to take stock of the games that I played most often in 2013. Miniatures gaming was dominated by a game I have been developing and putting the final touches to (as happened last year too, but I suppose that's fair. It just seems more like a job than a hobby... mustn't grumble of course!); boardgames were quite a mixed bag over 2013, but I can see from my list below that a few old favourites have returned once again. That said, this isn't necessarily a list of my 'favourite' games of the year, although by definition I probably like 'em if I've been playing 'em. 

Here goes:


Lion Rampant: lots of playtest games, as this is my own new game due out in 2014. This has absorbed almost all of my miniatures gaming sessions in 2013. I was in the same position last year with my previous game Dux Bellorum. Time for a break me thinks!!!


Of Gods And Mortals: I was lucky enough to be a playtester on Andrea Sfiligoi's latest miniatures game, which I happen to like a lot. This is an evolution from his excellent Song of Blades and Heroes.


Commands & Colors: Napoleonics: played this a lot more than the Ancients version in 2013. Looking forward to crushing my enemies with a newly purchased Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #2 – The Russian Army in the near future!


Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game: the best gaming gift I received last Christmas. A nice change of pace from Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack, but I seem to be the only person in the world who doesn't want the Falcon or Slave 1...


Survive: Escape from Atlantis!: very popular with chums who are new to gaming. I also gave a copy to a friend last year so played a few more games with him. It allows me to fulfil my ambition to be a shark. 

Hey, That's My Fish!: now a firm favourite of mine and popular with most of my chums. This has made my most-played list in both 2012 and 2013, and I'd be surprised if it dropped away in 2014.


Cartagena: again, another favourite over the past few years making my most-played list once again.


Condottiere: as above...


Hammer of the Scots: after not playing for a couple of years, we had a bit of a run on this game earlier in the year. Good, varied gameplay for a wargame.


Saga: this was on last year's list too. A miniatures game that includes a lot of ideas usually found in boardgames, so right up my street. I'm thinking of investing in Norse-Gaels in 2014.


Surprisingly, there was no room for Carcassonne or De Bellis Antiquitatis on this year's list, so I must make more of an effort with them in 2014.


Under the Christmas tree this year, all ready for fresh gaming in 2014, I have...


GUISCARD: all change for the new Cry Havoc! I'm very excited about this game.


Escape: The Curse of the Temple: our local bookshop has a decent stock of boardgames, so we picked this up while doing our Christmas shopping. Looks like a good game to play with a fun group.


Citadels: already played a couple of games and I like it a lot. I even won a game. 


Animal Upon Animal: great game to open and play at Christmas. Despite the fact that we are all adults.


Two games I received last Christmas have barely featured this year:


Torres: there's nothing wrong with this game, it just doesn't work it's way to the top of the pile very often. And I live in fear of hearing the plasticky crash when I inevitably drop the box...


Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game: not really what I was hoping for. I'll stick to the original board game which shares little in common other than the style of art: Shadows over Camelot.



Let's see what makes my most-played list in 2014! Best wishes for the new year...