Sunday, 15 November 2015

Dragon Rampant: sample Dwarf warband

I'm throwing open a few warband compositions from my own collection, to give you some idea of how the rules represent different troop types, and to give some idea of the number of models you might need.

Today I bring you Dwarves…

Although a smallish war band (ha ha), I only regret that I couldn't distill them down into just seven models:

1 LORD (1 MODEL)
Elite Foot @ 6 points

3 UNITS OF HOUSECARLS (18 models)

Elite Foot @ 18 points total

As much as anything, this warband shows you how few models you can get away with painting, albeit at the expense of tactical flexibility. You could downgrade your dwarves and field them as spearmen and crossbowmen, for example, or not include a Lord… an alternative warband I sometimes run is:

1 LORD (1 MODEL)
Elite Foot + Blessed Melee Weapon OR Fear @ 8 points

2 UNITS OF HOUSECARLS (12 models)
Elite Foot @ 12 points total

1 UNIT OF SPEARMEN or CROSSBOWS (12 models)

Heavy Foot or Missiles @ 4 points

My Dwarves are old Grenadier ones in 28mm (Lord has Blessed melee weapon) and Copplestone in 15mm (Lord brings Fear, via two additional Hornblowers).